NEW DELHI: A major fire today broke out at a hospital in east Delhi's Preet Vihar and 84 patients were evacuated from the building, officials said.
Some patients suffered minor injuries in the rescue operation in the fire that broke out on the second floor of the Metro Hospital and Cancer Institute, they said.
The fire started in an air conditioning vent and then spread to other floors, a senior police officer said.
A senior officer from the Delhi Fire Services said a call was received at 3.20 PM alerting them about the blaze, which intensified in the next 20 minutes. Twelve fire tenders were rushed to the spot, he said.
"But it was controlled by 4.15 PM and completely doused by 4.50 PM," the official added.
Police said that the 84 patients were safely evacuated from the hospital and shifted to its Noida branch.
The cooling operation was underway, the police said, adding that some patients suffered minor injuries in the episode.
According to me, efforts to douse the fire have been unsuccessful even though 15 vehicles of the fire brigade are already on the spot. PTI said that around 84 patients have been evacuated from the hospital. More fire vehicles have been requested to be sent to the spot.
The report quoted a fire brigade officer saying that the fire started due to a short circuit in the hospital's air conditioning system.
"The hospital administration has asked families to take patients out of the hospital and to admit them to other nearby hospitals," it added.
Metro Hospital & Cancer Institute (MHCI), Preet Vihar, New Delhi is an NABH accredited, 155 bedded Institute comprising two of highly specialized tertiary units providing excellence in prevention, early detection, treatment & rehabilitation in Cancer and Heart Care.
Medical practices are carried in an ethical, transparent & patient-friendly environment, at an affordable cost, made possible by highly competent team of medical professionals & compassionate support staff.
Certified by ISO, MHCI is built on international norms, entire hospital is centrally air-conditioned and environmentally sealed to ensure comfort with ideal asepsis and hygiene.